My Freshers University Experience So Far!

by - Saturday, October 14, 2017

Image result for university of portsmouth

So for this post I decided to do something different, I have decided to sum up my experience of University so far, I know I have been here for nearly a month, but I have had experiences that I never thought I would have until I got here and for once I decided I will post about my experience so far because it's been a great time so far. 

When people tell you Uni will be the best experience of your life, I never believed them and I am not one hundred percent sure right now since it's only been a month. One thing I will say since being here, I have made more more memories then I have ever made and I literally don't know how much I can talk or preach about how much I have loved my experience so far. I will try to narrow it down as much as I can to the memories I have made so far. 

Freshers Week!

Let's start with the week every first year will say they wish they could repeat and do again! I mean I definitely wish I could relive that week already and it has only been nearly three weeks ago. Let's start with the beginning, I moved in on the Saturday before Freshers started on the Sunday! So once my final flatmate moved in on the Sunday we were all prepared to go out to the club right opposite our flat. So we had pre's, just the three of us in our kitchen and well let's just say I drank way to much before we made it to the club, and before I could get there I was sick, so I missed the first night out and the second night out. Then we were going to go out the Tuesday night but my flat mate had a messy night out the Monday night that he was't really feeling like going out so instead we had a movie night. So finally the Wednesday night, after my flat mate had made a friend in the other block of our flat so we went to pre's with them and finally, I MADE IT OUT!  We went to PRYSM and honestly I made a new group of friends alongside my flat mates and I honestly had the best time out in a long time. Freshers lasted about two weeks, although on the second week, it didn't have many freshers events, it was still classed as Freshers Fortnight. I spent from the Wednesday to the Saturday drinking and going out and it was definitely eventful but it was the best time I had.  

Although Freshers week was amazing, there was definitely some downfalls about those weeks, mainly the part that it wears you out, it makes you so tired that you could spend an entire week in bed if it wasn't for the fact that I had to get up for lectures during the week unfortunately. Also Freshers Flu is a thing, and I am still suffering from it but only with a bad throat but honestly that's all I can think is the bad thing about freshers week because in all honesty, it's the best way to get used to being away from home and meet new friends.

Living Away from Home

Living away from home is a scary thought and I know that, during the week of getting ready to go and was packing to move away, I was panicking, partly about being away from home and my parents and also because I was worried about making friends with my flat mates and other people in the university. By the time I got there it was such a shock at how quickly I settled in, the first day was half emotional, half exciting. Now, I literally dislike going home, I went home for a night and hated it and I have definitely settled in. I would like to say that I have been able to get used to it on my own, but my flat mates have made me feel more comfortable about living away from home. 

If you're like me and you get worried about being away from your parents and friends and everything and you're worried that you won't make friends, I can garentee you guys that once you're there it becomes easier, because you're all in the same boat which means you'll make friends with people. The more friends you make the more easier it is at Uni, trust me, be open to meeting new people making new friends and eventually you will feel more comfortable and like it is your home, so when you go home you'll end up wishing you were back at university and not there. There's me already worrying what will happen when I end up graduating and not living at Uni and I have at least another two years to go and I have only been at uni a month now so let's put it this way it has become my home now and I love it. 

REMEMBER:  If you ever do get home sick, then plan a trip home, have something to look forward to. Also phone your parents and friends and keep in contact, the more you do that, the less home sick you'll feel. Remember your friends and family want what's best for you, but they will also understand you feeling homesick when you're away from home for about 8-9 months out of the year. 

Starting the Course

Now this is where we have to remember I came to uni to get a degree not just a great time and a great night life. I am studying Business and Management and although it will definitely be a great degree to graduate uni with, it's definitely not easy and it's definitely not easy to get back into the swing of education after a year out, not saying I regret having a gap year, I definitely needed it, but getting back into the hang of remembering to do work at home is hard but as time has gone by I am kind of getting in to the swing of it.  My one main thing of advice for you is make friends with people on your course, that way you know one, you have people you have something common with and you can talk to, also if you are stuck if you're friends with them, they are likely to lend you a hand. I have made a few friends on my course and I am happy that I have, I literally enjoy going to class sometimes just to see them so it is worth making friends with people on your course as well as outside of it. 

Having Fun

This is actually something a few of my lecturers have said, as much as you come to university and you are paying a lot of money to be here, make sure you have fun in your first year. One thing that I have learnt in the last few weeks is going out in the middle of the week isn't a bad thing, and it lets you have fun and make new friends. Also might make you make a few little mistakes, either ones you'll regret or ones that you will be grateful for, whether that is making out with a guy or something even more, it definitely is worth making those mistakes because you're only young once. Think about it, where do you want to be in ten years, Do you want a family? Because if you do, then you won't be able to go out making out with a ton of guys and having as much fun as you are now. Do you want to have a successful job? That means more time is spent working then going out for fun. So make the most of it whilst you can because there will be a time when that all changes. 

Would I recommend University to Others

Honestly I know over a two years ago now I was adamant that I wasn't going to ever come to uni, and now here I am. I mean it's obviously a personal choice, but I definitely think it is something everyone should experience, there will be challenges but there will also be good times and I honestly know that it is going to be an experience that will change my life. If you're looking for the chance to become independent, make new friends that could possibly be your life long friends, learn something new and just have a great time then I think it is worth coming to. 

So that is the end of my post, I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it.

 Feel free to leave a comment.  


You can follow my social media links here:

Instagram - @_ameliajl
Twitter - @omgamelia07
Bloglovin - Follow

You May Also Like

0 comments